Friday, October 14, 2011

Rome Part 1-Vatican City

As I mentioned in a previous post, one day we took the train to Rome. Rome was about 90 miles from where we were staying, but everyone we talked to said NOT to drive to Rome. I am so glad we listened to them! We got up early and boarded the train to Roma Termini. It took just under 2 hours to get there and thanks to Daniel, I was able to read the whole time! Definitely the longest uninterrupted reading time I've had in awhile. Daniel and the kids played in their puzzle books and watched the sleeping man near us drool down his shirt.

We arrived in Rome about 8:30am and had realistic expecations of what we would be able to see and do in 10 hours before we had to board the train back. Daniel has been to Rome before so I set the agenda. First, the Vatican. Which turned out to be a very wise thing to do first, because the line was 4X longer when we left St. Peter's than when we arrived! Unfortunately, I decided to skip the Sistine Chapel due to time constraints, the kids, and money, but I suppose that's reason enough to come back to Rome again one day!

At 10:30am, we leave the Vatican and depart for the rest Rome has to offer.  My trip to Rome had already been validated at this point, everything else is bonus! 



Abby and Blue Bear ready for Rome?

St. Peter's



Inside St. Peter's Basilica



Papal Altar-stands over crypt of St. Peter



Michelangelo's Pieta


Swiss Guards


No comments:

Post a Comment